Thursday, February 12, 2009

They are sick but they go to school

What do you think of going to school when you are sick? What would you do if your student is sick but told you that the parent told him/her to attend the class? Today, my student was very sick when he came in class. I saw his red face and eyes as soon as he entered the classroom so I asked what seemed to be the problem. He said he was sick. He has a cold and fever. I thought he cried because of his red eyes. It's not the first time that I saw a very sick student who attended my class. I don't know why parents let their children to go to school even when they are sick and why do students attend the class when they don't feel well.

Last month, one of my students had an operation and we visited her in the hospital. The next day, I was surprised to see her attending the class. She said she came home from the hospital in the morning so she attended the class in the afternoon. Although, they don't have terrible disease but I think they have to stay home at least a day. I feel so sorry for them so I don't force them to study hard when they are sick. I even think of sending them home and tell them to get enough rest.

I remember when I was a student, if I didn't want to go to school, I just told my mom that I had a headache and she would tell me to take a rest and wouldn't allow me to go to school. It's not right but better than what my students situation. What do you think?

No comments: