Thursday, September 25, 2008

Teaching English in Korea

If you are not a native speaker (from the U.S., the UK, Canada, Australia, etc..) then it's illegal for you to teach English in Korea. Some Filipinos who got married to Korean are teaching English illegally unless they would get their Korean citizenship. If you were caught teaching English illegally, the fine is $3,000 (according to my friend) and they would send you back home but if your husband is Korean then you are excuse with the second rule. Some directors are kind enough to hide you if they know that the immigration officers are coming like what my boss did when I worked illegally. I was heading for work when he called me and told me to go back home and come back the next day because the people from the immigration were there. That happened twice that's why I changed my citizenship after staying here for two years so that I can work freely.

Teaching English in Korea is very tough specially when you can't speak any Korean. There are many rude and naughty students so you have to carry your "patience" everyday when you enter the class. You need to deal well with your co-workers so that they can help you with it. Or you can just say to the homeroom teacher and they will manage it for you. They just talk to the students and call their parents if they continue to make trouble in your class and students are afraid of that.

Teaching Koreans is also fun if you know how to handle the students. Some kids are loving, sweet and thoughtful. Anyway, each student is different. Some can't be disciplined without holding a stick and some don't want to be hit and they are getting more rude if you hit them. Others just need your attention so they make noise.

I've been teaching here for seven years and i'm not saying that i'm expert enough but I can say that I already learned a lot and willing to learn more. Everyday is a challenge for me when I enter the classroom. I don't know what kind of day I should have but fortunately I always have a good day with my students. I don't only work for the money but also I work because I enjoy my job.

1 comment:

faye said...

read this post from you,
nice blog very interesting like we did in our germany language most of us are stranger from german language so we're like no read no write,,anyway part of life in different land.PATIENTS MUCH BE EXIST thousand times...droppingby here---continue your NOBLE JOB: