Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Story of Rumplestiltskin

The man and his daughter are outside near the palace. The man is a miller and his daughter is spinning straw. The miller is very proud of his daughter.

"Look at my daughter!" says the miller. "She can spin well! Look at her!"
"Look at my daughter!" says the miller. "She can spin well! Look at her!"
"Look at her!" says the miller. "She can spin straw into gold!"

The king on his horse heard the miller. "Oh!" he says. "Can she? Then she can come to my castle."

The king takes her to his castle. "Now!" says the king. "Here is a room! And here is some straw! Spin in into gold! Do it tonight - or die!"

"I can't do it," says the girl crying. She sat down and a little man suddenly appeared. "Sh!" he says. "Give me your necklace. And I can help you." She gives him her necklace. And he spins. He spins all the straw into gold.

It is morning. The king comes. "Good!" he says. "Good!" Then he grabbed her to the other room. "Now here is a bigger room!" says the king. "And here is some straw. Spin it into gold. Do it- or die!" Then he left.

Again the girl sat down in the room and cried. "I can't do it," says the girl. "Sh!" says the little man. "Give me your ring. And I can help you." She gives him her ring. And he spins. He spins all the straw into gold.

The next morning, the king comes. "Good!" he says. "Very good!" Then he grabbed him to the other room. "Here's the biggest room!" says the king. "And here is much more straw. Spin it all into gold. Do it - and you can be queen!" And he left.

"I can't do it," says the girl. "Sh!" says the little man. "I can help you. But you must give me something," he says.
"What can I give you?" the girl says.
"Your baby!" says the little man. "When you are queen." Then he spins. He spins all the straw into gold.

It is morning. The king comes. "Very good!" he says. "Excellent! Now you can be a queen!"

Now the miller's daughter is a queen. And the people love her because she has a very good heart.

One day the queen has a baby. It is a beautiful baby girl. And the queen is vey happy.

A few days later, the little man comes back. The queen was surprised.

"What do you want?" she says.
"You know what I want," he says. "The baby! Give her to me now!"
"Oh no!" says the queen. "Please don't take my baby!" And she cuddled her baby from the crib.
"Sh!" says the little man. "All right. But tell me my name. I give you three days."

The next night the little man comes back.
"Now do you know my name?" he asked.
The woman has a list of names on her hand.
"Is your name Tom?" she says.
"No!" says the little man.
"Is it Danny? Is it Jerry? Is it Jack? Is it John? Is it Sammy? Is it Louie? Is it Rey? Is it Justine? Is it Billy?" She said all the names on her list of papers.
But the little man said, "No!" he says. "No!" And he left with smile on his face.

The queen cannot sleep. Again she made a list of names. She wrote down everything that she can think of.
"What is his name?" she says. "What is it?"

It is morning. The little man comes back.
"Now, do you know my name?" he says. "Do you know it now?"
Again, the queen said everything on her list.
"Is your name Bigfoot?" she says.
"No!" says the little man.
"Is it Redface? Is it Greenshoe? Is it Bignose? Is it Eyesblue? Is it Shortboy? Is it Hatman?"
"No!" says the little man."No! No! No! Tell me my name tomorrow. Or give me the baby."

That night, the queen cannot sleep.
"What is his name?" she says. "What is it?"
She is hot. She can't sleep. She went out. The night is cold. The moon is bright.
"His name," she says. "What is it?"

She kept walking with her maid. Then they see something behind the trees.
"What is it?" says the queen.
"A light! A fire!" says the maid.
It is the little man. He dances and he sings.
"I am the best one at my game! Rumplestiltskin is name!" he says while he dances.

It is morning. The little man comes back.
"Do you know my name? Do you know it now?" he says.
"Is your name Gragglebaggle?" she says.
"No, it is not!" says the little man.
"Is it Hamleybamley?"
"No!" says the little man. "No! It is not!"
"Then is your name... Rumplestiltskin?" she says.
The little man is red. Red!
Then.. puff! He goes...PUFF! (He disappeared!)
And he never comes back.

And the miller's daughter lives well in the castle. She is a very kind queen.

Note: The story is taken from the book Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs of Oxford University Press (www.oup.com/elt). There are some sentences that I've been changed. It's much better if you can get your own book because of the beautiful and colorful pictures. Cd is also included in the book. What I do for my students is to let them listen to the story everyday before taking the lesson. And after a month, it's amazing that most of them can memorize most of the content of the book. Some can even memorize everything.

No comments: